*** DRAFT *** Chicago Media Map : Complete List of
Sources *** DRAFT ***
- Ben Bagdikian Media Monopoly. Beacon Press: Boston,
Mass. 1983, 1992.
- Prime Time Activism: Media Strategies for
Grassroots Organizing Charlotte Ryan. South End Press: Boston, MA,
- Special Issue, The Nation 6/3/96 - this special issue
was great, especially for the centerfold pull-out map of national media
conglomerates & corporate ties
- EXTRA! The Magazine of FAIR (Fairness & Accuracy In
Other Sources Used
- Gale Directory of Publications and Broadcast Media.
1996 128th Edition.
- United States Statistical Abstract. 1995.
- Illinois Commerce Commission. Springfield, IL. Annual
Report on Telecommunications. Reviews laws & regulations done in that
year & makes recommended legislation. Appendices include licensed
telephone companies, licensed cell cos, etc.
- Bureau of the Census. Annual Survey of Communication
Services. (Current Business Reports). statistics on revenue &
operating costs by type of industry & subsector of industry; SIC code &
- "The Route to Corporate Media" Brian Zero. Route 666
- "Media Carta" by Ross Crockford. Ad Busters Spring
1996 pp. 47-50
- "Mergermania in Medialand" Interview with Michael J Wolf by
Rita Koselka Forbes 10/23/95 pp. 252 - 259
- "Liberal Press: '96 Edition" Eric Alterman. Editorial in
The Nation 6/10/96 pp. 6-7
- "The News Rush" Ken Auletta The New Yorker 3/18/96 pp.
42 - 45
- "A Better Mousetrap?" Richard Zoglin Time 4/15/96 pp.
- "Corporate Power: Profits Before People". Interview with
Ralph Nader by David Barsamian. Z Magazine February 1995. p.
- "Info-Bandits" Jim Naureckas. In These Times 3/4/96 p.
- "The Media Mega-Mergers" Edward S. Herman. Dollars and
Sense May / June 1996. p. 8 - 13
- Directory of Corporate Affiliations 1995 - the standard
reference book on "who owns who"
- Hoover's Handbook of American Business - a good general
Yellow Pages - good for Chicago listings of media companies
- Ameritech 1995 Annual Report:
http://www.ameritech.com/news/annuals/annual_95/frames/ - available
online. It's amazing how shameless these companies are.
- Tribune Company web site: http://www.tribune.com/ - brags
liberally about its holdings
- "Rupert Murdoch, the Congress, and Public Broadcasting"
(available online through the Red Rock Eater listserve archive:
) - insightful article on relationship between Murdoch and attacks on
- Broadcasting & Cable Yearbook, 1995 - standard reference book
for broadcasting & cable
- "The Radio Race: WGN, WGCI, WVAZ lead the pack" by Rick Kogan.
Tribune 4/19/96 ? 4/20/96? p. 1, p. 5 - article reporting on the
Arbitron figures for Chicago radio, winter quarter
- FAIR: Fairness & Accuracy In Reporting insert - cool factoids
for Westinghouse / CBS, General Electric / NBC, and Walt Disney / ABC.
- Duncan's Radio Market Guide. 1995.
- American Radio Spring 1995
- "Radio's New Wave: Mom and Pop Sell to Big Media Inc." by Tim
Jones. Tribune 3/10/96, p. 1, 7
Other Sources, Potentially Interesting
- Federal Communications
Commission (FCC) web page: http://www.fcc.gov/
- FCC. Telecommunications Act of 1996 Links.
- Working Press of the Nation. Newspaper Directory. TV &
Radio Directory. Magazines and Internal Publications Directory.
- Radio Facts (annual). Radio Advertising Bureau, New
- Trends in Television (annual). Television Bureau of
- Television & Cable Factbook. Warren Publishing: DC
- Simmons Study of Media and Markets.
- Editor & Publisher Company. International Year Book
- Advertising Age monthly index
- Federal Communications Commission (FCC). Annual
- Federal Communications Commission (FCC). Statistics of
Communications Common Carriers.
- Putting Power In Its Place: Create Community Control
Judith Plant and Christopher Plant. New Society Publishers: Philadelphia,
PA. 1992. Not really about media but perhaps some of the strategies
would also be useful.
- Business Week 10/25/95
- "Let the World Know: Make Your Cause News" by Jason Salzman.
Rocky Mountain Media Watch, Box 18858, Denver, CO 80218. 74 page guide
for local groups on how to deal with media. avail. for plus .50
"Bias on MacNeil/Lehrer and PBS": Videotape from FAIR. TV
panel discussion with Robert MacNeil, Jeff Cohen, Carolyn Craven, PBS'
Barry Chase, and In These Times' Pat Aufderheide. May 1990
- "U.S. News Media: Echo Chamber for the Right" Videotape from
FAIR. Jeff Cohen. June 1995.
- Through the Media Looking Glass: Decoding Bias and Blather
in the News Jeff Cohen / Norman Solomon. 1995. Columns from
- Adventures in Medialand: Behind the News; Beyond the
Pundits. Jeff Cohen / Norman Solomon. 1993. Columns from
- Manufacturing Consent. Chomsky / Herman
- Censored: The News That Didn't Make the News and Why.
Carl Jensen. Chapel Hill, NC: Shelburne Press, 1993.
- Unreliable Sources Martin A. Lee and Norman Solomon.
New York: Carol Publishing Group, 1991.
- Four Reasons for the Elimination of Television. Jerry
A number of people have worked on research for the Chicago Media Map.
- Sabrina Craig, Peace & Justice Radio Project, AFSC
- Darlene Gramigna, Peace & Justice Radio Project, AFSC
- Dan Kaplan, Chicago Media Watch
- Ron Kollath, Progressive Media Initiative
- Jamie E. McEachron, Peace & Justice Radio Project, AFSC
- Laura Quilter, Chicago Coalition for Information Access